Brenner Mortuary has been a part of Pittsburg history since 1883. Founded as the Bowman Furniture and Undertaking Company, Brenner's is one of the oldest continuously operated businesses in Pittsburg, Kansas.
In 1913, the funeral business moved to its current location at 114 East 4th Street. In 1938, George and Jessie Brenner Purchased the mortuary, they later renamed it the Brenner Mortuary. In 1962, Chester Ward came to work at Brenner Mortuary. Mr. And Mrs. Brenner operated the mortuary until 1980, when George Brenner died. Brenner Mortuary was then purchased by Chester and Juanita Ward. Steve Ward, their son, joined the firm in the mid 1980's, as a funeral director. In 2000, Chester Ward died, Steve Ward operated the mortuary until his retirement in 2019. His son Craig Ward now operates the mortuary.